What is Digi-ID?
ID-card and Digi-ID are the easiest, most convenient and most secure methods of using internet banking and other e-services in Estonia.
Digital identity card or Digi-ID is an ID-card like a smart card, that you can use for authentication of the holder and giving digital signatures in an electronic environment. Also encryption functionality is supported.
You can apply for Digi-ID if you are:
- a citizen of the Republic of Estonia who has a valid ID-card, or if you apply for Digi-ID along with the ID-card
- an alien with a valid residence card/ID-card, or if you apply for Digi-ID along with the e-residency card
You need the following to use the ID-card and Digi-ID electronic services:
- ID-card software – download the software at the address installer.id.ee
- PINs – issued with an ID-card. In the event that you have lost the codes, you will be able to receive new codes from a service office of the Police and Border Guard Board or from Estonian foreign representations.
- valid certificates – More details on whether your certificates are valid or need updating, as well as how to update the certificates, can be found here.
- a computer with an internet connection
- a card reader – ask for one from a computer store or your local bank branch